There were nine players from the University of Florida (UF) Gators football program taken in the 2010 NFL Draft that was held in April. The nine men that were led by Florida head coach Urban Meyer before entering the NFL in 2010 are:
- Joe Haden (cornerback) – number 7 overall selection in the first round by the Cleveland Browns
- Maurkice Pouncey (center) – first round choice by the Pittsburgh Steelers with the 18th overall pick
- Tim Tebow (quarterback) – Denver Broncos first round pick up with the 25th pick of the draft
- Jermaine Cunningham (defensive end) -selected by the New England Patriots in the second round as the 53rd overall player taken
- Carlos Dunlap (defensive end) – taken in the second round by the Cincinnati Bengals with the 54th overall pick
- Brandon Spikes (linebacker) – New England Patriots choice with the 62nd overall pick occurring in the second round
- Major Wright (safety) – chosen by the Chicago Bears with the 75th overall choice in the third round
- Aaron Hernandez (tight end) – selected by the New England Patriots in the fourth round as the 113th overall player taken
- Riley Cooper (wide receiver) – Philadelphia Eagles choice in the fifth round as the 159th overall selection
With nine selections the University of Florida Gators had more players from their school taken in the 2010 NFL Draft that any other college. The next closest figure was seven players taken from a single school and that mark was hit by the University of Alabama, University of Oklahoma, and the University of Southern California in a three way tie for second place. After the University of Florida and the University of Alabama the Southeastern Conference (SEC) college with the third most players taken in the 2010 NFL Draft was the LSU Tigers with six.
To break it down by round selected the UF football program had:
- Three first round picks (Haden, Pouncey, and Tebow)
- Three second round selections (Cunningham, Dunlap, and Spikes)
- One third round player taken (Wright)
- One fourth round selection (Hernandez)
- One fifth round pick (Cooper)
In total five defensive players and four offensive players were selected to seven different National Football League (NFL) teams. Three Gators football players ended up on the same team with the New England Patriots. Defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, linebacker Brandon Spikes, and tight end Aaron Hernandez are all slated to be reunited as teammates for the Boston, Massachusetts area based Patriots team.
There is no doubt that Florida head coach Urban Meyer will be tracking the professional football careers of all of his former players. It is widely understood that both Meyer and UF fans in general will be paying particularly close attention to how quarterback Tim Tebow does at the next level.