A green card lawyer represents the clients who want to obtain a permanent residency visa in the United States and also deals with the conflicts arising in the process. Almost 50,000 visas are granted every year to the people who wish to study, work and live in the US by the United States authorities.
Green card lawyers specialize in the immigration law and have a perfect knowledge of the complexities and legal issues arise while obtaining a green card. It is the dream of many people to live in a US and is there before they all seek help from a green card lawyer, so making it a very rewarding profession.
1. The first step in getting admission into a law school to fulfill your dream to become a lawyer is to obtain your bachelor's degree. If you are still in a college or university, doing your bachelorer, make sure that you end up with a good overall GPA. A good GPA is vital for getting admission into a law school.
2. The second essential condition for admission in a law school is to pass the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). Your high GPA and the score of LSAT determine your admission chances in a law school. You can get all the required details about the test and registration process on the website of the Law School Administration Council (LSAC). You can retake the test in order to improve your score.
3. Once admitted to a law school, you need to start working really hard from the beginning. Spend much of your time in library doing some independent study. Read and study the law cases related to green card matters. Also choose the subjects that are related to immigration law. If you get an internship with a licensed green card lawyer, that will be a huge bonus for you.
4. Tuition fees are usually high in law schools. So, you have to plan a financial backup for your studies. You can go for scholarships with good academic records. Otherwise it is best to get student loan.
5. Graduate from the law school and obtain your JD degree. Now is the time to review everything which you have learnt by now in order to pass the bar exam. You have to pass this exam in order to earn your license.
6. Clear the exam and get the license to start your career as green card lawyer.
7. The next step is to advertise you. The best way is to start with online lawyer directories. Choose some popular online lawyer directories and get listed as a green card lawyer. Another best option is to ask the American Bar Association to add your name as a green card lawyer in its online database. You can also visit immigration office in your area and tell people that you work as a green card lawyer. Give them your business card and ask them to visit for a free initial consultation.