You have been waiting for this your entire college career and here is the blissful summer. This is the season for internships: the season of Ice tea, cool swimming pools, cold beverages and with all of that, thousands of fresh graduates looking for their long awaited internship in public relations career. Following the 7 steps for landing that internship you have been waiting for might give you an edge over your tough competitors.
1. First things first. You need to redo your resume so that it does not look like some ordinary template out there which is being used by everyone else. An employer will hate looking at the boring template and this might be your chance to get his attention. Tweak your CV wherever possible and make it reflect what you want to do with that position.
2. The next step would be decorating and renovating your social networking profile. After you are done making it look like pro link it to your network. Others will find easy to help you out find your dream job. Public relations salaries are something huge these days, but do not hanker for it too much to make it very blatant.
3. Start a twitter account if you want a job in PR, marketing, advertising and the likes. Use your account responsibly.
4. You need to clean up your other profiles in social networks. Remember your employers do check your profile if you think it is not public. Remember PR jobs are based in how you deal with people and your sloppy Facebook profile can be your biggest loophole.
5. Reach out to the people at the top of the hierarchies. Most people don’t do this because they think they don’t care. It is just the opposite. It makes a favorable impression if you are respectful to their time.
6. Make yourself a nice portfolio. Remember portfolios are not only for designers. If you want to be a manager your employer might want to look at your past glory and it might help you to get in the spotlight. Do not forget you will be awed by your fellow interns in every way possible and you must awe them as well.
7. Be flexible. Being willing is the biggest asset you can come up with. A lot of times you will be faced with the question of getting an unpaid internship. Take it without the slightest hesitation. Prove your merit to people who matter. Be loyal. Showcase ethical loyalty as your biggest personality trait. Go for entry level PR jobs if you are not experienced enough.
With all of these in mind and the correct social circle with the flexible education you might find yourself in the best PR career surrounding possible. Public relations career has internships based on entry level public relations jobs. Do not let that disappoint you a bit. Get your way to the top. Get to know people, get the hang of the field and once that happens there will be no stopping you.