The process of getting into college period takes a lot of hard work, so as you may imagine, the process of getting into a GREAT college requires even more effort . In this article, I'll lay out what competitive colleges are looking for in applicants and tell you EXACTLY how to get into a great college.
Before we get started, the first and most important thing that you need to keep in mind as you're reading this article is that a great college is seeking students who have excelled in many different aspects of their high school career. Nowadays, it will take more than just a high GPA and good standardized test scores.
Got it? Okay, without further ado … here's how to get into a great college:
1. Have a great GPA, period. This GPA should be reinforced by honors and AP classes (if possible). Taking and succeeding in challenging courses in high school reassurance top notch colleges that you can indeed handle their demanding curriculum.
2. High SAT / ACT Scores. Most students do not take the time to really study for these types of standardized exams; however you are NOT like most students. As a potential ivy League bound student, you'll need to spend as much time as you can studying for these tests. I would highly recommend taking a SAT or ACT prep course. These tests can be tricky, but with the proper amount of study, you can score well.
3. Extracurriculars. As I mentioned in the introduction, great colleges want students who have excelled in all areas of high school. You should be considered a leader on campus and be involved in a variety of extracurricular activities. Also, colleges like to see a lot of community service hours. Volunteer work tells a lot about a student's character. This will show that you are still committed and dedicated outside the classroom.
4. Outstanding Personal Statement. The personal statement can be a deal breaker in itself. Spend a lot of time in this area and do not be afraid to involve others. You will want to make sure that you stand out from the crowd. It's okay to spend time perfecting your essay and making sure that it says exactly what you want to say.
5. Nail the Interview. Get rid of the jitters … this is your time to SHINE. Try to go into the interview as calm as possible, so that you can really show off your intelligence and personality. Try to do some mock interviews at home just for practice
This is how to get into a great college. If you follow these five steps, I guarantee that you will increase your chances of acceptance into a great college. Good luck future Ivy Leaguer!